Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Mentorship- Directing and Guiding For a Purpose.

I remember when i was a young kid growing up I used to look up to some of the older guys around (Mom did not know) who did not so good things except for the progression of themselves. At the time I did not know you needed to do for others more than yourself, I only saw that they had new clothes and the nicest ride at the time and I wanted those things as well to show off to people.  As I grew older and a bit more wiser, i understood that if you want to look up to someone, it should be someone of substance, someone of positive virtues that only wants others to see the right way to do things. My father was a great role model and still is, his advice has never been wrong and he also allowed me to grow into the man I was meant to be, not the one he wanted me to be.  My father also help with other young men in molding them, not because he had to but because he knew he was needed and he also wanted to. When I was an undergraduate in college I met a man who was in an administrative position for the campus I was attending at the time.  He was everything a young brother should want to strive to be, the young ladies adored him, he dressed professionally, and he had a position of importance.  What I appreciate about this individual is he saw something in me enough to take time and help with molding me into the man I am today, so I will always owe he a debt which I will pay by doing the same thing for another young man growing up needing a role model.  I have a young son, but that is not enough on my part to just mold him, he is my responsibility so that molding to me does not count, I will always mold and train my son in the ways of a young man that needs to be a driving force in society and make his mark. It is my job as a man to impart what knowledge I have to another young man who may be lost or needing the same guidance in order to progress.

 We live in a selfish world, were need for self out weighs the need to help others, we have turned being competitive into a way of life, and we need to get away from some of that thinking. It takes nothing to take some of your time and help another young man who is lost and needing a mentor who is about something guide them  to the path of success and make the way they live a good one.  I can not say I have not been blessed to receive such instruction because I have and in turn I need to give that instruction back to whoever so needs it or seeks it.  I see how young men follow older men who do negative things and do not care about the people who look up to them.  From rappers to some athletes they feel like they owe no one nothing, and to a point they do not, but again that falls back into selfish thinking, which is something society need to review and revise, this contributes to the problems of declining education and behavior issues, lack of positive mentorship.  Please leave your comments or opinions.


No comments:

Post a Comment