Wednesday, November 19, 2014

"A Different World"-What television needs to place in the world today!

      Back in the mid 80's to early 90's there was a television show developed as a spin-off from The Cosby Show titled A Different World. The show revolved around the college experience at a  historically black college.  the show revolved around issues pertaining to being in college and what happens to some of the graduates after.  I bring this topic up today because it was the first show of it's kind to show how being a full and well rounded college student show look and act like and what goes on daily while away at school.  I can not see how the world has so quickly changed from having such a great program of its day into the garbage they overfill  television with  currently and call it entertainment.  The youth of today need to see there is another way of living beyond their current situation, and to top it off it is fun! I loved every minute of my undergraduate experience, from the classes, the lectures, the parties, the organizations, to joining Masonry, to meeting the young ladies! It was a WELL ROUNDED EXPERIENCE!!!! One can not just study all day, or party all day, one must position their self to be that well rounded student who can balance their life, because at  the end of  the day you will have to balance life until you  no longer walk this earth.

        I am a firm believer of all young individuals going to college, especially young men! They need to learn and understand how to be on their own at some point and become self reliant and capable so they can in turn be a well-rounded individual for themselves and for their own families, I am sure no woman will disagree with that statement.  I am tired of seeing young individuals want to portray all the negative aspects they see or hear in the media simply because they have been inundated  with what they perceive on television as "the real world." Just like the title of the show, that was a spin-off of The Cosby Show, suggests there is a different world, and it is indeed different than from where any one has come from.   My point centers around that if your situation is not great at the present moment, you want better, or just want to expand your knowledge base, what harm could come from attending college, even if for just one course?  And when i say attend I mean attend the traditional setting of college so you can stimulate all of your senses to the other side of the spectrum of what one may perceive as life.

       I have a son who presently is 8 years of age, and every time, and I mean EVERY TIME, I talk to him it is to ingrain in him that he will be attending college and I make him repeat that part of our conversation back to me and ask him to rely back to me as well why does he need to go to college, this should be apart of every man's daily discussion with their child/children, if you are truly wanting to see your off spring provided as well as afford an better opportunity in life.  I have yet to see ignorance or lack of understanding make successful individuals, rather the opposite.

Feel free to share comments or opinions!

No comments:

Post a Comment