Friday, November 21, 2014

The Measuring of A Man

       Sidney Poitier said it best in two quotes from his book, The Measure of a Man: Spiritual Autobiography, "A person doesn't have to change who he is to become better," and, "I am the me I choose to be." These two quotes have stood out for me because it sums up how a man should handle and carry himself.  An individual, especially a man, has to understand that they are who they want to be and a man should want to be the provider, the protector, the leader, and foundation of their world they have made for themselves.  A man has to know who they are before they bring others into the world they have made.  I never could understand how a man, who has decided to make the wrong choices, consistently, would want to bring others into that world chaos and instability. Life can not be treated as a game or something that you figure out later on when you get to an age you feel is one of maturity, a man should with guidance and help from other positive men, should have a plan of action and a plan for success as early as a teenager.  I am also not saying that success breeds the perfect man, that is not a reality, even though that man may have a successful career or make a lot of money, that still does not make him a man, it all falls in line with that man's actions. A man, a real man, has to use several areas of understanding, from wisdom (good wisdom) to humility to compassion in order to make judgement possible in every situation placed before them.

       I can only speak for myself, I am a man that wants to be measured on my actions in life not my accomplishments or amount of money I have in my account, it doesn't make me who I am, that only gives me a standing or position in the eyes of others in life and at the end of the day that doesn't make for a productive, purposeful life, knowing who God is and who you are or could be as a real man is truly the key.  I have witnessed so many men take the path of least resistance because life was "hard," but life will always have challenges, finding and figuring out how to properly manage and handle these challenges is the key to overcoming.  If your a man who is reading this I make this challenge to you, become more than what you are currently, do things that advance you overall and never become complacent because things seem stable, let your measure  as a man be one that is thought of in high regard.

Leave your comments and questions!

     

No comments:

Post a Comment