Sunday, November 23, 2014

Fatherhood: The Gift/The Responsibility

It is 4:22pm, on November 23, 2014, I am patiently waiting at the airport for my son to land and check in so our week long bonding time can being. I have been excited for this opportunity since I began planning for it a couple of months ago, all of the headache and issues with getting him here up until this point has been well worth it.  Whether some of us want to admit it or not, fatherhood is the greatest gift one could receive in life! Just think about it, you get to see apart of you grow up and teach that part of you lessons you learned growing up in some small way you get to have a second chance at life.  They get to see life through your eyes and you get to do the same, it is your legacy, why would you not want to make sure it is secure, safe, successful.  With the gift of fatherhood,  you also must cognizant of the responsibility that comes with it. Help to lead the way for a better outcome or more advance outcome than your current situation,  I could never understand or would want to for that matter how can a man have a seed in this world and not take measures to ensure that their seed is successful! I am not saying that if your seed makes conscious mistakes you should be held accountable if they are of adult age, I am only stating that as men we have to make sure we make the proper provisions as to help make sure they do not stray and look at other avenues as the direction to head.

I can say, without any doubt, I love my son, with every fiber that God has placed in my mortal form, I would give my life for his, as my father would do the same for me, this is what the cycle of a legacy,  a positive legacy entails.  I was told, by what I considered to be a wise sage on the street who was homeless, that one day it will make sense.  As a kid I wondered what that meant or if the homeless guy was a bit crazy, but as I get older I can see what he was trying to convey to my young mind,  and with that small amount of wisdom, I will impart it to my son, thus pushing on the cycle, that is my gift to my responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment